Soberanes Fire Updates
Last updated: 8/14/16 @ 7:00 AM
Acreage/Containment: 72,566 acres – 60% contained
Location: Soberanes Creek, Garrapata State Park, Palo Colorado, north of Big Sur
Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE San Benito-Monterey Unit/United States Forest Service, Los Padres National Forest
Fire Information Line: 2-1-1 or 831-204-0446
Media Line: 831-484-9647
Structures Threatened: 410
Structures Destroyed: 57 homes, 11 outbuildings
Structures Damaged: 3 structures, 2 outbuildings
Injuries: 1 fatality, 3 injuries
Cause: Illegal Campfire
EVACUATION ORDERS: Areas that are under evacuation orders include Coast Rd, from the 2-mile marker south to Coast Ridge Road on the East side of Hwy 1 to include all areas accessed by these roads.
EVACUATION WARNINGS: Areas are under evacuation warnings, West of Hwy 1 at Coast road at the intersection of Andrew Molera State Park to Graves Canyon. Cachagua Road at Nason Road to Trampa Canyon Rd, Cachagua Road from Carmel Valley Road to Tassajara Rd, Tassajara Road from Carmel Valley Road to the Tassajara Hot Springs Zen Center.
This area includes all roads that lead from the above described roads.
Residents should prepare to leave the areas listed above and be sure to take any medications, pets, family valuables, etc. with you. Close all windows and leave all doors closed.
All residents are asked to be READY: Create and maintain defensible space and harden your home against flying embers. Get SET: Prepare your family and home ahead of time for the possibility of having to evacuate. Be Ready to GO! Take the evacuation steps necessary to give your family and home the best chance of surviving a wildfire.
Resource Center: All Saints’ Day School, 8060 Carmel Valley Rd, Carmel Ca, 93923.
Animal Shelter: 1002 Monterey Salines Highway, Salinas CA, 93908
ROAD CLOSURE will take place at 2:00 P.M. on August 14, 2016 and stay in effect for up to 24 hours.
The following road will be closed
- Due to anticipated firing operations in the Big Sur area tomorrow, Hwy 1 will close at 2:00 P.M. August 14, 2016.
- Hwy 1 will be closed from Point Sur Lighthouse to North Coast Ridge Rd.
- The closure may last up to 24 hours.
- Hwy 1 will be closed to all traffic, including residents, in both directions. Firing operations will only be considered during favorable weather conditions.
- The closure will be continually re-evaluated based on fire conditions, and the threat to firefighter and public safety.
Coast Rd, Apple Pie Ridge Road, Coast Ridge Road.