CALTRANSHIGHWAY 1 UPDATE
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24
1) Video shows blasting of house-size boulder at Cow Cliffs (PM 28.35) in order to make road passable. 2-4) Aerial photos below of Pfeiffer Cyn. Bridge (PM 45.5) from yesterday—courtesy of Stan Russell—Big Sur Chamber.
SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5).
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNSAND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEARand not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
· Drilling began yesterday, Thursday and will continue for approximately two weeks. Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for March 17. You can see the drilling rig in these photos.
· On the maintenance side, our goal is to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge—for locals only.
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van, daytime only (after 10 am):
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Limekiln Crk Bridge (PM 21) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-morning Monday, Feb. 27 or sooner if conditions change.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at carrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.