HIGHWAY 1 UPDATE
MONDAY, MARCH 6
Photos from Friday of: 1-2) Mud Creek (PM 8.8); 3-4) Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6) and 5) Cow Cliffs (PM 28.35)
SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5).
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Vehicles currently parked in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Cyn. Bridge will have to be moved BY TODAY, MONDAY, MARCH 6, in anticipation of equipment and material mobilization. I understand the owners of many of these vehicle may be south of the bridge. If that is the case, we will tow them to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF TOMORROW, TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Drilling continues and Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for March 17.
· On the maintenance side, our goal is to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge—for locals only.
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van, daytime only:
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Limekiln Crk Bridge (PM 21) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
Paul’s Slide for locals: from this Saturday, March 4 through Wednesday March 8, there will be no access for Caltrans or locals from 7 AM to 7 PM. Locals MAY travel through this area from 7 PM until 7 AM with the assistance of a flagger conducting one-way reversing traffic
As of today, we are optimistic that Monday the 13th we will be able to have some form of access for resupply (including propane). We will be able to accommodate up to a 3000 gallon propane truck. We will update if we are able to provide access any sooner.
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-day on Tuesday, March 7 or sooner if conditions change.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO atcarrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.