HIGHWAY 1 UPDATE
MARCH 13, 2017
***LATEST UPDATE AS OF 7:00 PM***
Estimated opening of Highway One north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge will now be Tuesday, March 14 by 5 pm.
Below are today’s updates – in bright blue.
NOTE: Please realize that this schedule is not set in stone and conditions or unforeseen challenges may necessitate the work schedule to take a different direction or cease at times.
Here’s our update, starting from south to north:
Multi-Agency Facility (MAF-PM 46.35)
This is currently the “turn around” point for the public. The facility offers a large turn around area. A pending question for discussion is public access to Pfeiffer Beach and Sycamore Cyn. Road (PM 45.64) just north and really close to the soon-to-be-demolished Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge. This site was evaluated this afternoon, March 13 by State Parks, Big Sur Fire Brigade, OES, Forest Service, CHP, locals and Caltrans. It was concurred that the MAF be the “turn around” point. Caltrans Construction and Maintenance will perform final prep work and CHP will relocate the northern closure (currently jso of Palo Colorado) to the MAF. State Route will re-open to the public tomorrow, Tuesday, March 14 by 5 pm. All business north of the closure will be open.
UPDATED INFORMATION IN BLUE
SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5) WITH NEXT OPPORTUNITY FORRESUPPLY/DELIVERY ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15 AND FRIDAY, MARCH 17 BETWEEN 10 AM AND 3 PM EACH DAY**.
**Deliveries to Big Sur were made today, Monday, March 13. The stabilized roadway at Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6) is limited to vehicles weighing 50,000 lbs., with a maximum vehicle length of 30 feet. There is a flagger at Ragged Point checking I.D.’s for locals and allowing delivery vehicles through. The next opportunity for will be Wednesday, March 15 and Friday, March 17 between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm each day. Delivery vehicles can head both north and south unescortedbetween 10 am and 3 pm.
Locals only are recommended to travel from 7 am to 7 pm, due to continued slide activity, between Ragged Pt. and the Big Sur Deli with local I.D. until further notice.
The school bus also continues to be allowed to cross Paul’s Slide until further notice.
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge Demolition
The crane, in its current configuration, will not free fall the wrecking ball with the required force needed. New parts have been ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Depending on the delivery and assembly, another attempt will take place at a later date; possibly as early as Wednesday morning, March 15.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any remaining vehicles in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge have been towed to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF as of TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Drilling continues and Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for Friday, March 17.
· On the maintenance side, Caltrans is continuing to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge—for locals only. Hwy. 1 is scheduled to open to the public from Carmel and north, to the Multi-Agency Facility (MAF PM 46.35) tomorrow, Tuesday, March 15 by 5:00 PM
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van 7:00AM – 7:00 PM
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Big Sur Deli (PM 45.3) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-day on Tuesday, March 14 or sooner if conditions change.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at carrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
Point Sur (PM 54.4)
JSO Little Sur River Bridge (PM 55.75)