Photos and video of crane being used for today’s demolition. It’s approximately 23 ft. wide, its arm (boom) is 305 ft. tall and almost covers both lanes jno of Pfeiffer Cyn. Bridge
UPDATED INFORMATION IN BLUE
**Deliveries to Big Sur were made today,Monday, March 13. The stabilized roadway at Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6) is limited to vehicles weighing 35,000 lbs.; this can accommodate a truck with 3,000 gallons of propane. The maximum vehicle length is 30 feet. There is a flagger at Ragged Point checking I.D.’s for locals and allowing delivery vehicles through. Dailyopportunities for deliveries will continue through Friday, March 17 at between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm each day. Delivery vehicles can head both north and south unescorted between 10 am and 3 pm.
Locals only continue to have 24/7 access from Ragged Pt. to the Big Sur Deli with local I.D. until further notice.
The school bus also continues to be allowed to cross Paul’s Slide until further notice.
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any remaining vehicles in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge have been towed to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF as of TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Drilling continues and Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for Friday, March 17.
· On the maintenance side, Caltrans is continuing to make progress with the slides to regain as much access from the south as possible. We are also working to keep the roadway passable from the north to just north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge—for locals only. Hwy. 1 is scheduled to open to the public from Carmel and north, to just north of the Big Sur Station (PM 46.35) next Thursday, March 16 as of 9 am.
*BUSINESSES REMAIN OPEN*
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van 24/7:
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Big Sur Deli (PM 45.3) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at carrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
Susana Z. Cruz
Caltrans District 5
Public Information Office
Oficina de Relaciones Públicas
para Caltrans en el Distrito 5
We welcome your feedback:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RNBZG55