SR-1 Full Closure—Ragged Pt (SLO PM 72.87) to the Multi-Agency Facility “MAF”(MON PM 46.35). Please note changes since yesterday below:
· Nacimiento-Fergusson Road will open to the public on Monday, March 20.
· Residents will continue to have access between Ragged Point and the Big Sur Deli between 6 am and 7 pm starting Monday, March 20, as four gates will close the roadway overnight to store construction equipment used during the day, at the following locations: 1) south end of Mud Creek (PM 8.8); 2) north end of Mud Creek (PM 8.9); 3) North end of Limekiln Creek Bridge (PM 21.07) and 4) north end of Hermitage wall (PM 22.42).
o Emergency services will have overnight access to the locked gates (between 7 pm and 6 am).
· RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESUPPLY GOING THROUGH PAUL’S SLIDE ON MONDAY, MARCH 20, AS IT MAY BE THE LAST DAY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS.
Mud Creek (PM 8.9):
· The roadway continues to deteriorate as slide activity continues daily. Further updates about the ability to pass through this section will be provided as the slide stabilizes.
· For now, resident access will continue to be allowed daily between 6 am and 7 pm.
Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6):
· For Monday’s opportunity to resupply, access is limited to vehicles weighing 50,000 lbs., with a maximum vehicle length of 30 feet. There is a flagger at Ragged Point checking I.D.’s for residents and allowing delivery vehicles through.
· The school bus will be allowed to cross Paul’s Slide through Monday between 6 am and 7 pm.
· As mentioned yesterday, roadway reestablishment at Paul’s slide will require full closure.
· During this construction at Paul’s slide, residents will have limited access—possibly a half-hour window in the morning and the evening—but unfortunately, the school bus and resupply/deliveries will not be allowed to pass at any time.
· Work will performed 24/7 as conditions allow, and updates will continue to be provided.
IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5):
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNS AND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEAR and not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge (PM 45.5) Demolition:
Demolition of the bridge continues until complete, the north span (column three) is almost to the ground at this point. I’ve attached a couple of photos.
All business north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge closure are open to the public.
· Any vehicles that were in the large turn-out just north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge have been towed to the large “secure” parking lot at the MAF as of TUESDAY, MARCH 7.
· Due to the nature of the construction activities, access will be subject to change on a regular basis.
· Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided mid-day on Monday, March 20 or sooner if conditions change.
· NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at carrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
Susana Z. Cruz
Caltrans District 5
Public Information Office
Oficina de Relaciones Públicas
para Caltrans en el Distrito 5
We welcome your feedback:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RNBZG55