CALTRANSHighway 1 Update
Tuesday, February 28
Photos from yesterday.
SR-1 FULL CLOSURE CONTINUES–RAGGED PT (SLO PM 72.87) TO JUST SOUTH OF PALO COLORADO (PM 61.5).
*IMPORTANT NOTE – CALTRANS PFEIFFER CYN. BRIDGE (PM 45.5) UPDATE:
· DUE TO EXTREME SAFETY CONCERNSAND THE BRIDGE’S DYNAMIC INSTABILITY, EVERYONE needs to STAY CLEARand not get within 100 feet of either side of the bridge. This closure will be enforced.
· Drilling began Thursday, February 23 and will continue for approximately two weeks. Caltrans geotechnical and bridge experts from around the state are working as quickly as possible toward the bridge replacement. Drilling investigation findings are targeted for March 17.
· On the maintenance side, our goal is to make progress with the slides to regain access on both sides of the Pfeiffer Cyn. Bridge:
· On the south, work is being done 24/7 to repair the road at Paul’s Slide (PM 21.6).
· On the north, there are still areas of concern with fallen trees, mud and slope instability.
Locals may travel in a truck, SUV or van, daytime only:
1) between Ragged. Pt. and Limekiln Crk Bridge (PM 21) and
2) between just north of Pfeiffer Cyn Bridge and Carmel.
*We realize that access is limited to locals and please be aware that businesses remain open.*
Another update regarding the Highway 1 Big Sur Coast will be provided around mid-day Wednesday, March 1 or sooner if conditions change.
NOTE: For information on emergency services only (not Caltrans road inquiries) for the Big Sur Coast, you may contact Gerry Malais, Mon. Co. OES via email at: malaisg or Maia Carroll, Mon. Co. OES PIO at carrollm or via phone at (831) 796-3092.
PM 47.03 Near Fernwood